Everyone has tough days. For a teen, a big test, friendship problems or a relationship ending could lead to a bad day. For a parent, feeling stressed about work, worrying about their children or simply being tired may lead to a difficult day. Whatever the cause, bad days can seem overwhelming and can often be filled with strong emotions. So what can you do if you are having a bad day today? Here are a few ideas:
1) Remember that today will end. I know this sounds cliche, but it can be helpful to remember that the sun will set, even on the hardest of days. Tomorrow is a new day.
2) Remember that strong emotions will pass. Part of what makes humans unique among all other species is our ability to experience emotions. Strong feelings, including anger and sadness will pass. Rather than bottle these emotions up, find a healthy way to express them outwardly. Talk to a friend or parent, write, draw, run or sing it out. You will feel better in the long run if you do not ignore your emotions.
3) Remember to take care of yourself. If you are experiencing a stressful time, remember to prioritize your well-being. Does spending time with friends make you feel good? Make plans together. Does exercising help you feel calm? Go for a walk or make it a point to hit the gym. Does the idea of attending another activity make you feel exhausted? Politely decline the invitation. Does taking a bath or reading help you feel calm? You get the idea. The most important thing is to make time for YOU!
4) Remember to look for the good. Find something to be grateful for every day. Purposefully seeking out the positive can help counteract negative thoughts. Write things you are grateful for down in a journal so you can be reminded of them during difficult times.
5) Remember the big picture. Your life is an incredible and special piece of art. In the end, the mixture of good and difficult times will serve to make your story uniquely yours and more beautiful than you can imagine!
Please, share your thoughts on this topic! What can you do today to make today a part of your masterpiece?